Specialty Textile Manufacturer – Carbon Bed Pollution Control
Designed, programmed and commissioned controls upgrade for the replacement of an obsolete control system. Services included the following:
- Existing control system consisted of a combination of two obsolete PLC’s for control of the complete system – a Sy/Max PLC for carbon bed control & a Eurotherm PLC for the stripping and batch column control. Existing control system also included many custom printed circuit board interfaces.
- Project scope was to replace both existing PLC’s with a common Allen-Bradley ControlLogix PLC, Wonderware HMI primary operator interface and a secondary PanelView operator interface.
- Control system replacement was implemented in a two-stage, phased approach to minimize plant downtime and to take advantage of normal, scheduled plant downtimes. The first phase was successfully completed during Christmas 2012 plant shut-down, the second and final phase was successfully completed during July 4, 2013 plant shutdown.
- Phase 1 replaced the Sy/Max PLC responsible for the Carbon Bed Control. In the ~6 month interim timeframe, the new ControlLogix PLC was required to communicate with the existing Eurotherm PLC responsible for stripping column control to provide complete system operation.
- Electrical & Controls engineering and site visits to investigate and identify all existing wiring to be removed, replaced, or re-routed to new control system.
- Electrical & Controls engineering to develop a detailed set of existing demolition drawings identifying all existing wiring to be removed or re-routed.
- Electrical & Controls engineering to develop a detailed set of new electrical wiring schematics for the new PLC control system.
- Provided software development for all system PLC control logic, HMI and operator interface graphic control screens
- Software system included embedded, detailed help files and all electrical drawings available on-demand for operator/maintenance reference from the HMI system.
- Provided complete system alarming with alarm management to only display alarm from initial cause of problem and not display all subsequent alarms caused as a result of the initial problem.